It’s only Wednesday and it feels like this week has been going on forever. Being alone on the weekend has completely thrown off my schedule. I swear I’m not afraid of the dark, just the bugs, but there is also something about sleeping alone all alone that makes even a decent nights sleep restless. This still happens to me in the house I grew up in if I’m alone overnight.
Unfortunately, now I’ve gotten into a routine of being awake until the wee hours of the morning and sleeping in late (Oh hello, 2am, I haven’t seen you since college. Yes, I do believe quiet hours are starting, that means time for sleep.)
It would be infinitely easier to snap out of such a schedule if I had a reason to wake up early in the morning but for the past month or so, that hasn’t been a concern. For the rest of the week it’s my goal to get back to a proper working day schedule or at least, something slightly less nocturnal.
My plan of attack is as follows:
- Straighten up immediately after dinner so that I can start to relax sooner.
- No TV/computer/phone for at least half an hour before bedtime.
- Try fan or AC for white noise to drown out thoughts keeping me up.
- Try deep breathing exercises that I learned in that yoga class that one time.
- Read boring newspaper articles until I literally have to hold my eye lids open.
- Repeat as necessary.
Wish me luck! Also, tips for getting to sleep would be welcomed. This caffeinated cup of tea that I’m drinking at 6pm is probably not a good start. Or maybe sleep is overrated, we’re still young right?