In honor of the Game of Thrones season 4 premier that aired 4/6, I decided to do a list of fun facts for those of you who are fans.
1. Oona Chaplin (Talisa) is Charlie Chaplin’s granddaughter.
2. Peter Dinklage is from Morristown, NJ!
3. George RR Martin grew up in Bayonne, NJ. (I used to live a few blocks from his old house.)
4. Martin also revealed all major plot lines to the show’s producers in case he were to die before he actually finishes writing the book series.
5. In 2012, the name Arya was the fastest rising baby girl’s name.
6. Also in 2012, 160 baby girls were names Khaleesi, even though it is not a name, but a title of sorts.
8. Dire wolves were an actual species that existed approximately 10,000 years ago. They were the largest species of wolf to ever live.
9. Jack Gleeson, aka Joffrey, received a letter from George RR Martin supposedly stating “Congratulations! Everyone hates you!”
10. The horse heart that Emilia Clarke eats was made of 1.3kg worth of gummy bears.
11. While shooting that scene, Emilia Clarke was covered in so much fake blood; she actually got stuck to a toilet.
12. The Dothraki language was actually created by a linguist. His name is David Peterson.
13. Peter Vaughan, who plays the blind Maester, Aemon, is legally blind.
14. Game of Thrones features 9 actors that were in the Harry Potter Series. (You can check out the list here)
16. Jennifer Ehle played Catelyn Stark, in the pilot. She dropped out when the series was picked up and Michelle Fairley was cast instead.
17. Similarly, Tamzin Merchant originally had the part of Daenerys, but dropped out for undisclosed reasons, and the naturally brunette Emilia Clarke got the role.
18. The first season premiered on Sean Bean’s birthday. (April 17th)
20. Supposedly, Martin got the inspiration for Game of Thrones from his childhood turtles. He devised stories of turtle lords and knights in a tin castle