The campers are all amazed at how fast I knit, and what I can do with my knitting. They saw that I made a hat, but some didn’t quite believe that I knit the hat on my own, instead of just buying it from the store.
One particular camper, who also goes to the middle school in my town where I sub occasionally, started talking to me about Doctor Who, since he saw my TARDIS coffee tumbler on my desk. I told him that I wanted to knit a TARDIS afghan one day, and somehow from there a challenge was thrown down that I should test myself and knit that blanket.
Sometime a few minutes later, I found out that said camper did not like Harry Potter and refused to read past the first few chapters of the first book. Shame. So much shame on this camper. So then another challenge was thrown down. He has to read all of the Harry Potter books.
If I knit the blanket, then he will continue to read the books. We’ve given each other until the start of camp next year to finish our challenge. We will check in with each other throughout the school year, which is neat and will add a special something on days when I sub for his classes.
It’s also just another way to bond with my students, campers, and spread the good word of JK Rowling.
So here it is. Here is the link to the TARDIS Afghan, a free pattern on Ravelry. Let’s see how far I can get before I lose my mind.
August 16th – Day 1
Bought the yarn, printed the chart, watched YouTube videos and videos on Knitting Help.com to figure out the color working methods. Still trying to figure out how to read the chart exactly.
I bought about $100 worth of various brands of acrylic yarn at Joann, but used coupons and ended up spending a little less than $60. Score.
Let’s see what happens.
It’s all curling, but it’s just about 4in across, so that’s good enough for me.
So then I put on Aladdin and went to casting on with my US Size 10, 13in Takumi Clovers. And it was a struggle. And it took 45 minutes. Also, I placed stitch markers at every 20 stitches, so that I don’t go crazy counting throughout the entire pattern. And I seriously doubted I would be able to fit all 337 stitches on these needles, but I made it!
It took about 3 hours to Cast on and knit in stockinette stitch for 5 rows. It may not seem like a lot, but that’s like 1,685 stitches plus casting on of work.
August 17th – Day 2
Finally got to row 16 before giving up for the day. It took about 3 hours to do that much. My problem is that while it only takes 17 minutes to do each row (ONLY… hahaha, and yes, I did time myself every single row because OCD, that’s why), it’s boring. No colorwork yet or anything. Blah blah endless rows of black yarn.
August 18th – Day 3
I knit a whopping 1 row at work. I mean, 337 stitches is pretty darn good when you run a day camp, so I guess I should be satisfied. I’m still going to knit tonight and maybe try to get to the first row of the chart. We’ll see. For now, here’s a picture of Licorice being the worst knitting helper ever. Ever.