Here at Honesty Time, you’ll notice we like to share how we feel when doing things. In this next installment of “Thoughts”, I bring you the thoughts that were going through my head as I was nearing and passing the I’ve-been-awake-for-over-24-hours mark.
I’ve stayed up for over 24 hours three times in my life now. The first was completely voluntary. I was young, in college, with all the will to party on and run around New York City. Yes, I was in the city that never sleeps, so of course that helped. The second time I have already blogged about when it happened, a year and a half ago. In that instance, I did expect to sleep for a few hours but with the way things played out that time, it just wasn’t in the cards. And the most recent time happened just this past weekend and was not planned at all. I fully intended on getting a solid eight to nine hours of sleep, but my horse got sick and I was awoken justtttttt as I was almost 30 minutes into falling into an almost deep sleep. I ended up being awake from 6:00am Friday to 10:30pm Saturday. Nearly 41 hours. I don’t count that almost 30 minutes as anything because I was only half asleep, if that.
So. When you’re awake for so long, what goes through your head? Sometimes, many thoughts. Sometimes, none at all. Sometimes, it’s just wishing, wishing, wishing you were asleep. It really all depends on your situation. But everyone gets to that point where they hit a wall and start to think:
- What time is it?
- Are there any other living creatures awake right now?
- Where is the light?
- My eyelids have bricks on them.
- My head is a deadweight.
- If I sit down I’m falling asleep.
- That floor looks mighty comfy.
- If I speak, will real words come out?
- I’m hungry.
- Coffee would be delicious.
- Even though nothing could really keep me awake much longer.
- My bed is like a cloud of fluff and magical things and I miss it.
- My feet hurt.
- It’s really cold. I wish I had a blanket or five.
- I’m going to lean against this wall. I’m leaning…leaning…
- Am I falling? I might be falling.
- How many more minutes until it’s real time again?
- Is the sun coming up? Have I seen the sun set and rise?
- But really, am I ever going to sleep again?
- If I do, it will be the most glorious sleep of my life.
Ahh, these thoughts, so fresh in my mind. I hope none of you have to do this, because it is really miserable. Sleep is wonderful. Do yourself a favor and don’t stay up for over 24 hours.