This is that strange time of year when it could be snowing one day, and warm enough to wear shorts the next. I mean, just yesterday I had to clean snow off of my car before work. Today, it’s 60 degrees and sunny. As I sit at my desk at work, attempting to drown out the cacophony of my coworkers’ coughing, I can’t help but think about all of the things I want to do, once the weather really, finally warms up for a few months. Here’s my list of all the things I want to do this summer:
- Go hiking. I love hiking, but I don’t do it enough. Last year, my friends and I decided we wanted to have a summer of hiking, but we only went once when we were in Vermont. But we live in New Jersey, and there is hiking everywhere! Rachel and I have big plans for this summer.
- Go to California. This might be cheating to put on this list because I already know for sure it’s happening. I’ve never been to California, but Amanda and I just booked a trip to San Diego for June! I’m so damn excited.
- Play hooky to go to the beach. I did this one day last summer – just took a random day off work to go to the beach with Amanda and Justin. I grew up near the Jersey shore, and I used to go a million times a summer. Now that I work, I’m forced to only go during weekends or on holidays, when it’s sooo crowded and miserable. There’s something about being at the beach when you are supposed to be at work that makes it that much better.
- Go to the Camden aquarium. I love aquariums so much. But I’ve lived in New Jersey my entire life, and I’ve never been to the aquarium in Camden. It’s shameful, really.
- Go to concerts. I usually go to at least one concert every summer, but I didn’t go to any last year. I already have tickets for June to see Train and The Fray. But I want to go to more! I love live music.
- Have a scavenger hunt. I love scavenger hunts. My friends and I have talked about doing one in New York City, and I want it to happen so badly. There are a ton of different options. Like this. Or this. Or this. I’ve never really gotten to be a tourist in NYC, even though I’ve been there a million times. What better way to see our city than making it a game?
- Go geocaching. This goes hand-in-hand with going on a scavenger hunt. It’s a similar idea. I love the idea of geocaching and how it can bring you on an adventure in your own neighborhood. I think it’s so fun, and I want to try it.
- Have a barbecue. This probably shouldn’t be on my list because every summer always has BBQs. It’s not like I have to go out of my way to find one. But I’m hungry right now and I want a hamburger.
- Go strawberry picking. I’ve been apple picking a million times, but never strawberry picking. New Jersey has the best strawberries, and I want to eat them all!
- Reread Harry Potter. So I’ve read each book at least three times. Doesn’t mean I love them any less. And, seriously, is there anything better than sitting outside in the summer, reading and drinking lemonade? No. There isn’t.
So, there you have it. All of the things I could think of, off the top of my head, that I definitely want to do this summer. What am I missing? What’s on your list? Are you as ready for this winter to be over as I am?